I’m not a big pizza person (GASP!), mainly because I’m not a big cheese person (DOUBLE GASP!) I’m lactose-intolerant, and while I’m not completely dairy free, I do make an effort to be. Bryan, on the other hand, love his cheese and his pizza so I try to make it from time to time. However, he hates things like onions, green peppers, and olives. Needless to say, pizza is a challenge for both of us.
Being the health-conscious person I am, when I make pizza I don’t want it to be too bad for me, so I try to choose loads of veggies and healthier ingredients. Check out one of my all-time favorite pizza recipes, and visit Little Messy Hands to see Bekah O’ssher amended, picky-eater friendly version!
Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- spray olive oil
- 3/4 lb wheat pizza dough (store-bought)
- 2/3 cup low calorie BBQ sauce
- 3/4 lb cooked chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup red onion slices
- 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella
- pinches of pepper to taste
- garnish with cilantro and green onion
- kick it up a notch with Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 400F
2. Roll our pizza dough (we get ours ready-made from Whole Foods) to desired thickness.
3. If you’re using a cast iron skillet to cook in, spray with a little olive oil, then wipe/pat it dry with a cloth but don’t completely wipe off the oil. If your skillets are not cast iron opt for a cookie sheet or directly on the rack.
4. Dust the inside of the skillet with almond or quinoa flour to prevent sticking when baking.
5. Add the raw wheat pizza dough and spread it out.
6. Add the remaining ingredients to the pizza.
7. Spray the outside crust with a little olive oil before placing in oven.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown.
9. Let cool for 5 minutes, cut, and enjoy!